Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Death to the Composer

Now as an avid fan of the hip hop culture I must say that there have been many songs through out my young life that have had an indelible impression on me. My only misgiving is that many of these songs have little to no live instrumentation. I love the feeling of hearing s strong guitar of a mellow piano complement the brash and braggadocious lyrics of a good rap tune but these moments of satiation come few and far between these days. Don't get me wrong one of my favorite producers (Timbaland) has crafted hits for a who's who of the industry (take the late great Aaliyah's Are You that Somebody with a baby crying in the background.... genius!) but I can say that his music is all but devoid of musical instruments which I believe in many ways hurts the art.

Some say that it was Rap's humble beginnings that brought forth the need for alternative methods of producing but now that we are at the top of the hill there still seems to be a disconnect between hip-hop and live instrumentation. Take the roots for example; hip hop's only shining tribute to the monolith that is the hip hop band. I for one am not able to choose between the two worlds but I would like to see equal representation from both!





Frame of Reference

Are you that somebody


Roots

No comments: