Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Is the digital age leaving the quality music behind.



If we were to pit a standard black and white tv vs. a HD plasma screen there would be no contest concernig which has better video quality. If we then took a look at a calico vision best selling game and challenged it against HALO on PS3 there again would be little surprise in who would be the all around victor. The digital age has helped us in a variety of different ways...... except maybe when it come to music.

Let me be the first to say that I prefer my wallet sized iPod to the walkman (CD or Tape), portable radio, or an oversized boombox any day! My gripe comes from the fact that as the way in which we now consume our music has evolved the quality of the sound has regressed. It is a documented fact that in terms of music quality and richness of sound the olden day vinyls of yesteryear eclipse today's mp3s by leaps and bounds.

The problem with the Mp3 lies in the compression that must take place to make a sound file tiny enough for mass trading on the internet. This compression leads to a retrograde of sound quality and the overall listening experience.

My question is why in the day and age where we can watch TV on our wristwatch can we not get the sound quality of an era goneby almost ages ago (in technology years of course)? I beleive that we've been duped into thinking that faster, sleeker, hipper, and cooler are always and automatically equal to better. Many have sacrificed at the altar of the convenience god and all but denounced the spirit of quality. Many have an "I hear it clearly so it must be cool," attitude that has prevailed since I was born and as a result the new generation has lost touch with how music is REALLY supposed to sound. Maybe I'm speaking beyond my age here but I miss listening to my parents old vinyls of classics that are just not done justice by Mp3s. Maybe I should start a vinyl renaissance! Can some one show me how to import Mp3s onto vinyl lol....

Sources

Is better best?

Vinyl Rules

No comments: